• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ABS Code Scanner

Big T

Reaction score
I recently purchased the following code scanner at Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/retailflyer/index/product?id=60794

It says it will "pull ABS codes on most cars and trucks". Well it won't pull them on my '99 Suburban. The answer I got back from Harbor Freight was that it would not cover all vehicles as the manufacturers hold back some codes as proprietary so that they don't lose customers. I'm calling BS on that and taking it back.

Can someone point me to a code scanner that will handle ABS on my '99 Suburban? Will that Carcode model that also can set TDC pull ABS codes?

Most of the time it's the ABS module unless there has been physical damage to the sensors. If my sensors look okay then I just pull the module and send it in and have the shop check it out. The module usually have a couple of electrical plugs and about 5 screws that hold the module to the manifold. You just pull the plugs and screws and lift the module off the manifold. No need to mess with brake lines and stuff. Many can even be driven and the brakes work normally, just no Anti-lock. If it's a sensor the shop I use will just box it up and send it back no charge and will let you know what sensor registered defective or what other problem there was (The module records the fault). I usually have them rebuild it anyway since they upgrade it to better components - even the stuff that's okay gets replaced if they're common failure components. I've sent hundreds to them and have yet to have one fail but they stand behind what they build. I had one that I thought had failed after three years, beyond the warranty, and they had me send it to check it out free of charge. The guy called me and said to look at the fuse and see if it looked like it had gotten hot, which it had. He said the code combination he saw normally was caused by intermittent power and that the module was okay. Top notch outfit in my book. You can do a search on Module Master (Moscow, Idaho) and get the web site. There's a wealth of info - even videos showing how to R&R the module and so on. Not all of the modules GM uses can be rebuilt so hopefully yours can (the web site will show you how to tell). It's a lot cheaper and you'll have a much better module.

My ABS light is mostly on and the system not working. Sometimes, less than 0.5% of the time, the ABS light is off and the system works. The last time I took it in to have the code pulled, it came up with "open circuit RF". RF sensor has been replaced several times since. Even replaced the RF bearing. Tried a different wiring harness form sensor to ABS unit. No change.

I have a complete ABS system still in a wrecked '95 Suburban that I can harvest parts from. So just where is this module that attaches to a "manifold". The ABS pump I have sits atop the driver's side fender. That's where all the ABS wiring harnesses end up.

I went to the Module Master website (thanks for the suggestion), unfortunately it says that the Kelsey Hayes Model 310 is not repairable.

Well I went through the "ABS Wizard" Q & A on the Module Master website. They did not offer it for the Kelsey Hayes 310, but did so on the Kelsey Hayes 325 (my truck has the 310). The questions ask you what is happening. Basically my ABS light comes on once the truck starts rolling and that immediately pointed towards the ABS module. As the ABS system on the wrecked '95 Suburban is the same as the one on my '99 Suburban, I will try the module from the '95.

Great deal on the Tech II! I'd sure do it. If you don't get it let me know and I'll have my granddaughter's husband grab it for me! He's an airborne medic up there at JBER. Just did his module when theirs went out on one of their cars, BTW. He was really nervous about doing it since he has never done much more than oil changes but decided to give it a try. The turn-around was about 5 days longer than what I normally see (he sent it on a Saturday and it was back the second Tuesday after that) but he was really happy that he was able to do it and with how well it went. And that he saved a big chunk of money (VW=Big Repair Bucks).

Well I went through the "ABS Wizard" Q & A on the Module Master website. They did not offer it for the Kelsey Hayes 310, but did so on the Kelsey Hayes 325 (my truck has the 310). The questions ask you what is happening. Basically my ABS light comes on once the truck starts rolling and that immediately pointed towards the ABS module. As the ABS system on the wrecked '95 Suburban is the same as the one on my '99 Suburban, I will try the module from the '95.

That sounds like a good plan. They're really easy to change. Gotta love having a parts vehicle, too. My upper pasture looks like a wrecking yard sometimes and one of the stalls in my horse barn will probably never see another horse in my lifetime, lol. Mostly mid-80's Chevy pickup stuff. Has saved me thousands.

Great deal on the Tech II! I'd sure do it. If you don't get it let me know and I'll have my granddaughter's husband grab it for me! He's an airborne medic up there at JBER. Just did his module when theirs went out on one of their cars, BTW. He was really nervous about doing it since he has never done much more than oil changes but decided to give it a try. The turn-around was about 5 days longer than what I normally see (he sent it on a Saturday and it was back the second Tuesday after that) but he was really happy that he was able to do it and with how well it went. And that he saved a big chunk of money (VW=Big Repair Bucks).

The Tech II is all yours.

If I can fix the ABS by swapping in a new/used module, I don't see much use for the Tech II. The Cen-Tech scanner pulls all the other codes I need. I bought the CEN-Tech because the CEL came on in my wife's Mercedes and my ultra cheapo code reader would not pull the code. The CEN-Tech did. The ABS ability was secondary and I'm mulling whether to return the CEN-Tech.

What was the Carcode model that allows you to set TDC on the OBD II 6.5?

if you decide to I could be the go between.

Alright. I've discussed with wife already. It's my decision and I'm mulling it over while installing hardwood flooring at our Big Bear Lake home this weekend. This remodel project has been going on awhile, but it does not rival your home project.

Back