• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A-pillar gauge pod install question...

Mezmorized

Reaction score
Guys, I picked up a 3-gauge A-pillar pod. I stuck my boost gauge and oil temp gauge in there, hooked up the line from the boost gauge to the intake, had a little trouble getting the line up from under the dash (ran it between the dash and the A-pillar).

I have no clue where to route the wiring now! I can't see under the dash well enough to drill anywhere, let alone get a drill up in there! How/where have you guys run the wiring for these gauges?

Thanks!

1995 C2500 ECLB 6.5 TD vin "F" 4L80E

I don't have any pics but I'll try to explain where I drilled a hole through. I have a 94 so I am assuming that your 95 will be the same as mine.

Pop the hood and stand beside the drivers tire. Look at the hydroboost unit where it bolts to the firewall. If you then go horizontally to the right about 6 inches you'll see a spot in the firewall insulation. This spot is similar in shape to a standard thermostat gasket. It looks like it was partially punched out, but not clear through. I finished cutting this out. I then used a holesaw (don't remember the size) and cut a hole the right size for a grommet I had. This spot is at least two thicknesses of sheetmetal to cut through. From the inside under the dash this hole will be about 1.5 inches above the right side of the electrical convenience center. Nothing is easy to reach under the dash, but this was about the easiest place I could access.

Don

I'm thinking your 95 will be similar to my 94,even though the dash is differently shaped.

I see you already have the wiring through the gap between the dash panel and the A-pillar. From that spot it is less than 18" to where I drilled through the firewall. There's some other wiring there and the cable & mechanism for the E-brake to work around, but otherwise it's sort of open through there. It is tight quarters to get yout hand in there, but I was able to get my gauge wiring through there. The big problem is being able to see in there. While I was doing mine I was wishing I had one of those snake lights, something I could wrap around the brake pedal and point it where I needed the light.

I will soon be removing my dash to lay in a new wire loom for my new power mirrors. When I have it out I'll try to get some pics of the area and post them.

Don

For my wires at the gauge pod, I used a small hole saw and drilled a hole in the actual A-pillar trim the truck came with and then ran the wires down the pillar inside the trim. (My gauge pod was one that screws to the original trim) Then I routed it straight down between the gap of the dash/pillar/glass. Be careful not to pinch/flatten your boost hose. I did and it took me awhile to figure out that was the problem. Had to use some tape to secure my hose down the route I wanted it to go inside the pillar.

For my wires at the gauge pod, I used a small hole saw and drilled a hole in the actual A-pillar trim the truck came with and then ran the wires down the pillar inside the trim. (My gauge pod was one that screws to the original trim) Then I routed it straight down between the gap of the dash/pillar/glass. Be careful not to pinch/flatten your boost hose. I did and it took me awhile to figure out that was the problem. Had to use some tape to secure my hose down the route I wanted it to go inside the pillar.

x2, right down to pinching the boost hose. I drilled a hole in line with each gauge for it's respective wires.

I was lucky enough... I didn't pinch the hose the way I threw it on "temporarily" Might look at it after I get it back from having the DE 4" exhaust installed... This weekend :)

Back