• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 Diesel Tahoe

Open the air bleed on top of the fuel filter manager, during the glow plug cycle the lift pump will run. when the air is purged close the air bleed.

If it still won't start you may have to crack the injector lines on the drivers side (easy access) Only loosen them a 1/4 turn, when fuel is leaking out the fitting tighten them back up. You'll need help to do this.

I think the vehicle must be trashed. I'll come pick it up if you wish.

Ran out of fuel. Can't get started. Any suggestions.

There is a spade connector behind and down from the under hood fuse box. If you run a hot, preferably fused, jumper wire to that connector, the lift pump will run. If you jumper there and the lift pump does not run - check for voltage at the lift pump. If you have voltage at the lift pump and it is not running, You more than likely have a bad lift pump. If you have a bad lift pump use an AC Delco or Gm lift pump for a 1993 vehicle. They have more output.

If the lift pump is running, get a container - I use a gallon pickle jar - run about 3/4 gallon out the T drain into the container. NOTE the flow. crack the fuel filter bleeder on top of the fuel filter and make sure all of the air is out of the system.

At this time you can pull the injection pump return line and run it to the container. Turn the key to run and you should have fuel there as well. A plugged return line will keep a 6.5 from running.

Make sure you haven't run your batteries low. A 6.5 diesel will not start if it does not turn over fast enough.

Check your battery connections while you're there.

Try to start again.

Then crack the injectors to check for fuel if it doesn't start.

It's kind of amazing the things that do not seem to be related, that can cause a hard start after you run out of fuel

Back