• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'99 AC Redo

Big T

Reaction score
The AC was out in my '99 Burb. Pretty obviously that the system had leaked down. I had worked on it before which led to my breaking the condensor when trying to remove the dryer and that forced me to pull the dash. Basically, I'm not a good AC repair guy.

So I took it in for repair and the compressor had a leak in the center of the body. So new compressor, dryer, oriface, recharge and $568 later it's blowing ice cubes and the wife is happy. Sometimes you just leave it to the pros.

I got a new dash, evap, and heater core sitting in the shop waiting for me to get time to pull mine and do it. The HT6 compressor is NOTORIOUS for being a belly leaker, and is why I won't put a stock replacement back on one. I have a SANDEN on mine, and have started using GPC compressors. GM never thought to pin the case halves which allows them to move over time which breaks teh o-rings that seal the case halves to the center. THE GPC units are built slightly different and pinned so it won't happen again.

They installed a Sanden. Are they as good as the GPC?

I hope so, that is what is on mine. I switched over to GPC because the SANDENS are getting hard to come by unless you special order them whereas I can pick the GPC's up in stock.

Heres a glimpse of what you missed out on. I'm doing a few extra steps as I'm also replacing my dash(which my $800+ brand new GM dash is cracked in the box:WTF::mad2:, so I have to call them and see if they can find me another one).
EVAP 1.jpeg

Oh, I've been there. Had to drop my dash when I screwed up the condensor or whatever it is te dryer connects to. Dryer was frozen on and I ended up breaking that condensor fitting, thus necessitating the removal of the entire dash. Major PITA and I don't envy you.

So, how hard is it to remove and install new freeze plugs? Can it be done with the engine in place?

Back