• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 4l80e in a 95 k2500

BarryMckokiner

95 k2500 7.4 4l80e
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a repeat thread. I searched and didn't find anything with these years involved. I've got a 1995 k2500 7.4 with a 4L80E thats no good. My question is I have the opportunity to buy a 4L80E out of a 1999 k2500 with a 6.0 (really good deal) I know the location of the transmission lines will need to be changed is there anything else that I need to be aware of that would make this swap a headache? Any info would be appreciated I haven't bought the transmission yet and even though it's a great deal I don't want to buy it if I can't use it thanks in advance for any help

I've called all 3 of the transmission shops near me and the best price I got for a rebuild was $2000 I can get this other transmission for $200 from a pretty good friend he guaranteed it to be good said I could install and if it doesn't work I don't have to pay for it. I found a thread on here (after I made this post) that says other than cooler lines it should be an easy swap. I could be wrong but i thought $2000 was insane for the rebuild.

I’m not one of the trans experts to say what other changes are needed- but generally by the time people buy the other ‘ready to use’ transmission, then pay to have it ripped open and change some of the parts needed for the different application- it is 75% of the cost of a rebuild. Understand it is not just the parts cost but the labor they charge for the time of swapping everything and the fact that they have to cover a warranty.

Call the same shops you already did and ask them how much to make the newer trans work in your rig. Usually they won’t give a solid price because until it’s opened up- they don’t know the soft parts involved.

I will say if you do go to the new trans, ABSOLUTELY do NOT get rid of the old one for a couple months. And because you have 4wd, you have to put descent miles on it in both 2wd and 4hi and 4 lo. Problems dont always show up until some miles are on it. And if you get rid of the transmission that has a rare part- if gets ugly.

Your going from obd1 to an obd2 transmission. That's about the only thing, besides cooler lines, I can think of. Verify where the speed sensors are on both transmissions. If they're in different locations you might have issues.

Personally, a lot of times, I don't have the amount of time it takes to save money.

I forget what I paid on my daughter's 96 Suburban. It's posted here somewhere.

I even had them remove and install. They did other work while they had it. Including IP swap. Injector swap and a few other things
But it came with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Back