• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98 vs 2000 350 Vortec: differences? (if any)

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any differences between a 5.7L Vortec in a 98 C3500 C&C and a 2000 C3500 C&C?

Dad just picked up a 2000 w/ auto, and i was wondering how different they are

Virtually identical. From about 96+ the 5.7L went unchanged as it was being phased out shortly anyways.

Yea its was not wise of GM to offer that motor in a 1 ton or even a 3/4 ton. Dont get me wrong there alot of stuff you can do to it but it just lacks the low end grunt of a BB or higher displacement SB. I would say for towing your probably gonna struggle but for everyday use you will be just fine. Add some goodies and you will be fine.

Good thing is it will last forever...lol.

what year did they go to the 5.3? I thought it was 2000? I know my 2002 z71 had the 5.3... only had it for a year. it was powerless. traded on the 6.0 and couldn't keep gas in it. got the 04.5 :D

IIRC 5.3's were only 1/2 tons from 99 - 07. The L33 was all aluminum and was from 05-07

6.0's were in 99 non HD 3/4 tons and 00 HD's and up

Only problem you should have with that motor is intake manifold gaskets. After that it will run forever:thumbsup:

The auto makes it worse, but with the 98, the stick/2wd combo helps the power make it to the ground better than auto.

but still, for 2,900 for a nice 2000 GMC w/ 60K miles is pretty good. :thumbsup:

thank you! Really, small motors do not bug me too much.(obviously, look at the sig! ):h) as long as it can accelerate onto the interstate and maintain speed (except on hills, of course) i am fairly satisfied with the power.

I LOVE women with your thinking ):h):h):h

Its not the displacement that counts, it is how flat the torque curve is!

(trying to make engine terminology dirty is hard, forgive me if it makes no sense to you! :D)

Anyways, we got the truck home, and i hate to say it, but this auto truck seems to perform better empty than the 98 gear drive. Im sure w/ trailers, the stick will shine!

but all and all, i am impressed with it.

A buddy of mine had a 2000 GMC 3/4 CCSB 2wd with the 5.7 and it was about the most gutless vehicle I had ever driven. My (at that time) 97 dually with the vortec 7.4 got the same mileage and would run circles around it. They both had the 4L80E and 4.10's. That's a smokin deal on the truck however!

Didn't the 2000 vintage 2500 6.0's have iron heads, and the 01 and up HD's have alum? My 01 GMC had the LQ4 with Al heads.

Its not the displacement that counts, it is how flat the torque curve is!

(trying to make engine terminology dirty is hard, forgive me if it makes no sense to you! :D)

Anyways, we got the truck home, and i hate to say it, but this auto truck seems to perform better empty than the 98 gear drive. Im sure w/ trailers, the stick will shine!

but all and all, i am impressed with it.
I think it’s the length & girth of your curve that woman love 🤪

Back