• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 K2500HD, pulling t-case for front seal. anything else need done at 252K?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I figure while the driveline is out, might as well drop the t-case and change the front seal so I quit pumping tranny oil into the t-case.

first, any tips for dropping the t-case? it looks a little tight.

other than the front seal, is there anything I need to check out/ adjust/ replace while its out? any things I need to watch out when changing the seal?

I will be leaving the rear seal in, as its the second design (according to Rock Auto) with the big lip and it is sealing just fine, and is easily replaced if it does leak.

thanks!

To drop it you will need to remove the tcase cross member. It wont come out between it and the tbar cross member.

extentions and wobble joints are handy when unboltiong the Tcase.

so support tranny with a jack and pull the crossmember then? or do you recommend a cherry picker from above hanging onto the engine lifting eyes to support everything?

I got plenty of universals and sockets, so should be good there.

I just used a bottle jack under the tranny. Remember, you should have the borg warner case. That might make a difference on seals.

How are you getting the atf in the tcase? You shouldn't have atf in the nv4500 and the you have gear oil in the ol gear grinder

Went back and looked, guess I missed that. I still didn't think oil got that high on a nv4500, I'll look at the fill plug on mine and see where the line is.

I have a NPxxx transfer case. I will check numbers tomorrow. I thought BW was only in 3500 models?

I didnt think I could get oil transfer either, but apparently it slings oil back there, as I can pull the t-case fill plug and dump about a 1/4 qt. then the tranny takes the same amount.

dont worry, I am using the right oil, been topping off with Amsoil MTG.

new used IP is on the way, and I need to make a run out west, so the truck will be in the shop (dad is making room as we speak, I gotta get some more engine stands...), so I figure I will address this leak.

new question: does the t-case have to come out to change the seal, or can it be moved back far enough without denting the floorpan? Denting is not an option.

hopefully we will get some folks to chime in, no news yet.

I am leaning towards taking the 95 GMC anyways, it is alot warmer out, so it is a 2wd friendly trip. fan clutch works on it too, as well as A/C. neither work on the 93, so I am thinking of just taking her down big time, and doing cooling system and possible timing gears at the same time as IP. So, the 93 is kinda back burner for now.

I do need Blisteins for both.... the roads suck! :)

still needing input on doing the input seal on the NP t-case. room opening up soon, so I need to be ready. do I slide it back and di it in truck, or pull it? also, is the NP smaller than the BW by enough to leave the crossmember in place, or do I still need to pull it?

thanks!

I'd pull it. Its not that heavy just awkward and no good way to hold it. I jack the transfer case up a bit while connected take out the cross member rear transmission mount then take out the cross member. It makes it easy to get to the bottom bolt holding the transfer case (near impossible otherwise). Then I cut a 2x6 for a jack stand to hold the tail of the transmission up and take off the transfer case. If you are not taking the transmission out might could just slide the cross member forward and put a spacer under transmission to hold it. Seems I remember doing that once???? I used a rented transmission jack to pick it up mostly and hold it and you have to turn it around and get the tail over the torsion cross member got it close then picked it up and put it on the splines and slid it forward by hand. I took it out with a floor jack and don't remember details might have let it near fall out just semi controlled the fall with the floor jack.

I took my transmission and transfer case to get rebuilt so can't help you on the seal. There is a gasket between the transmission and transfer case so go ahead and get that on order.

Still haven't worked on a NP241 but between the NP263 and the BW I can say the seal can be pulled in the truck but it wont be fun. Currently have the 263 on the bench for a front bearing and seal (.5" of slop)

Back