• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 6.5 issues

Riddle_3d

Reaction score
hello all, i am new here, but have been on the other farum for awhile. ive been picking their brains for quite awhile over my '93 6.5. it seems to have little power, falls on its face going up a hill, and just seems to be a bundle of band-aid fixes. the IP is advanced a lot, it doesnt want to start when the marks are realigned, it has a GM-8 turbo on it, and with no vacuum pump, the wastegate is wired shut :(. i know this is all bad, but i havent recieved my boost gauge due to the snow around here, and i am wondering if all this could be caused by a failing IP? also, i9s the turbomaster the best way to go? i can not hear the turbo working, when the motor goes under a load though it goes silent. it also sounds quieter than other 6.5's i have heard. the crossover looks good, so i dont think i have an exhaust leak. i know a boost gauge will solve all this, but i was just wanting some more opinions before the damn thing arrives.

turbo master is the most reliable. might want to list all the things you have checked better yet fill out the check list

- Year: 1993______
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) K2500_________
- Automatic or Standard auto__________
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) 282xxx miles_________
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) ___________
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? F turbo______________
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) 10*F__________
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) #2 diesel_________
- What fuel additives are you using? Howes Lube___________
- Where are you located? Montgomery City, MO_____________

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter clean_________
- Fuel filter new_________
- CDR Valve? clean_________
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at n/a_____________
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at regular, 5,000 mile interval___________
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at 3 months old, 1000 CA _____________
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): all______________
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? N/A_________ What type? 60g_____________
- Injectors - last changed at N/A_______________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? driving it home after purchase______________
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? N/A_____________
- Has this problem ever happened before? N/A_______________________
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. ______________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) Y____ And? none________

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? yes_________
1b] Does the engine crank over? yes________
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? yes_________
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? yes________
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? _________
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? yes_________ For how long? 6seconds _________
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? yes, black________
1h] Does the Service Engine Light Glow during Start/bulb check? no________

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? yes____________
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? yes_________
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? yes___________
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out?yes _________
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? no___________

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) DB2, no PMD___________
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? N/A_________
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. _________
3d] PMD Make: ___________
3e] PMD Age: _____________

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? no_______
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank? no_______
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? no__________
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? no_________
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? no__________

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges (boost, EGT) ? boost gauge on order___________
6b] Maximum boost under load? N/A yet____________
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? No PCM______________
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? Banks Powerpack ________________
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum (OEM)? vacuum, wired shut______________

7] Temperature-related Issues:
7a] Single or dual thermostats? single____________
7b] Have you replaced them lately? Manufacturer of replacements? no_________
7c] Have you pulled and cleaned Radiator and coolers lately? no____________
7d] Have you replaced the fan clutch? Manufacturer of replacement? no________
7e] (winter) Have you tested your antifreeze? Good to what temp? yes, -50* F__________
7f] (winter) Are you using a winter grille cover? no___________

You check the fuel pressure at the drain at idle? I would hook a gauge to it good and run that to the windshield or into the truck and monitor pressure under load.

Relax until you get the boost gauge. Having the wastegate wired shut is no guarantee it really IS shut... I've seen wired-shut gates that clamped hard with a TM... you won't know for sure until you can get a gauge on it.

As for black smoke, if the DB2 isn't turned at all, you'll have to work awful hard to get much smoke; remember, those GM-3s only had that chicken-poop little spring on them (factory), so they never made much boost to start with. Putting an -8 on there won't make any difference without more fuel and a good spring.

With the number of miles you have on , I would check the timing chain for slop. A easy way is to take the oil fill tube off and watch the ip gear as you turn the crank by hand. The mechanical pumps rely more on the base timing than electronic does. It does sound like ip problems.

x2, the 93 does not have PMD, problem is more digital. So if LP good and OPS can run the LP without any trouble, then IP may be bad.

Just for last test. I know your LP is running but try to put 12V direct source to the LP and see if you can start? before condemning the IP.

Sounds exactly like my old 93. Turned out to be fuel line between LP and FM was cloged. On my 94 it was a dirty fuel sock in the tank. I would blow out all the lines if I were you.
Have you seen my Turbo Boost Bolt? will make installing your boost gauge much easier.

the boost gauge actually wont be an issue on mine. one of the previous owners instaled a banks powerpack system, so they already have the fitting for the boost gauge and pyro they are just capped off

When you checked the lift pump did you do it at idle? Possibility to run the gauge to monitor while driving? did you visually inspect the IP, see if its tightened down?

ill check it out tomorrow. ive been ready to put an IP on it, just wanted to wait until it warmed up to do it. also, does it matter any that i can hear tha miss more noticeably on the passenger side of the engine than the drivers side? also, i noticed the other day (since i dont normally get to drive the truck when its cold) that it smokes terribly (white with a blueish tinge) until it warms up, then no more smoke. so i have serious issues? :(

I also wonder if with loose nuts if the IP will vibrate more than normalized to engine vibration and possibly crack fuel lines, which could cause your issues.

well, after i finally got my boost gauge, i was coming back home and the flexplate broke. i know thats what it was, because its already done it once. what can cause this thing to keep breaking flexplates? this is two in three months..

It could have been a bad flexplate.

This is just a guess but I would check the HB. I have a 427 with a 5x4 grain truck, the 5spd tranny rattled like crazy. After I replaced the broken crank and put on a new HB the tranny was silent.

Back