• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

91 chevy solid axle swap ?

A 1500 frame will hold it but might need beefed up if you plan to use it as a puller.

First you need to decide what kind of supporting mods you will be doing (tcase, trans, leafs, coils, 4 link)

Second decide what the final purpose will be (DD/mall crawler, mud truck, hard core wheeler)

Third (imho) do you still want front abs (your first 2 will determine if it is possible)

But the big question is what $$$ are you spending.

i thought about the 94 up dodge axle but cant find anyone that has done it or ford leaf kit abs aint in it and was gonna make a full box frame well make mine

So you are Keeping your driverside output T Case?

I have a 99 dodge Front (and rear) for my 94 Chevy.. You need to convert to a leaf set up by choping the coil pads off and welding leaf spring pads on. For the most part it is the same steps for installing a ford axle.

I have not started my install yet so I cant tell you all the specifics.

I would suggest if you use a dodge axle that you either:

Get rid of the vaccum operated 4x4 actuator in favor of a solid sleeve and convert it to manual hubs. (there are kits)
Or get a mechanical/electric actuator.

IMHO the dodge axle is better than the ford D44HD's or D50's found in most fords, but it will take a few parts to make it as simple. The D60 is the best option out there but those are hard to come by for cheap.

see the dodge axle as u know is coil spring but not sure how to do the links that dodge has to the chevy frame im working on a 95 3/4 ton dodge at work running 35s no lift other than leveling kit

the sas will get you roughly 3in lift maybe more running as low as possible. You wont clear 35's on a chevy unless you trim your fenders.

I'm not sure which ones you are talking about? after you convert to leafs you wont need the traction bar things. Everything else will just take some fab work to get the geometry and clearance right. I have not started or done much research in the past 2 years so I dont remember what all it takes.

For the swap with the coils, check out norcal4x4's thread on fullsizechevy.com. he made long arms for it. Im going the same route on my build. hopefully starting by this coming winter.

Back