• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5-T to 454 BBC ? ? ?

M123KT-450

Reaction score
Will there be any major issues going from the 6.5-T to the 454 ?

I was guessing it would pretty much just bolt right in then just need to be wired up and exhaust ran ?

Mikey

So you guys don't seem to know a damn thing other then the milage will drop alot ?

I DO NOT want to be paying for a truck that DOSE NOT RUN, because a non running truck means i have to buy another one that dose run which means another truck payment and another vehicle to insure. . .while i pay the remainder of the non running truck off. . .

i would rather a running 6mpg truck then 23mpg truck that dont run. . .

Mikey

Well, you seem to be mad at people that try to help you. Take it to a mechanic see how much thier help costs.

Switching to a carbed 454 is much like switching to a manual IP, going to need to control the tranny somehow, which is electronic and requires sensor inputs. You can buy standalone units for over $1000. You might be able to get the stock PCM to control it with a TPS into APP sensor 2 input, but then youll need help or actually learn how it works.

Or you can put a whole new powertrain in with a non electronic tranny.

I could also use an EFI 454 that also came as an option in these truck switch over the motor and ECM and shazzam the trans is shifting right on cue. . .tho yes a carb'd 454 would simple cheap easy but easy isn't always best. . .

Mech IP hmmm another good option tho that would mean a trans swap or a standalone unit. . .

Mike

Only if the 454 operated off of the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensors that our ECMs do. I dont know, but may need to run a TPS line to the 454 EFI ECM.

I wouldnt suggest the mechanical pump conversion, might as well go to gasser you understand if investing money.

So I was just saying its similar to that conversion, which also means you'll probably need a different pedal and cable to the throttle or whatever it used if it is drive by wire. My 97 Z28 uses a throttle cable and TPS on the throttle body, so I'm thinking youre going to be shopping for a pedal too, since the pedal in your 95 6.5 is electronic.

yea well there isn't really a cheap and easy option to fix my truck. . .either way the cash money has to flow into it. the 6.5 has been proven unreliable the 454 has been prove reliable. so Fixing the 6.5 i have and replacing it with the 454 EFI will cost the same couple grand why not have the better motor ?

Mikey

Your truck might only need a PMD though, and it might have a bad CPS, and it might have a clogged tank sock, and it might have water in the fuel and it might be clouded fuel. Or it might need a new IP. Theres so many possibilities which is why you have to jump through a lot of hoops to eliminate possibilities and diagnose the actual problem. It could all be related to your first issue when a new PMD wasnt put in, or it could be a new issue, need diagnostic info to determine.

Its not really a lot different with EFI gas engines, where you ALWAYS have a bad O2 sensor according to the mechanics, or you ALWAYS need one new injector. Mechanics still need to understand how to diagnose things, its just that you and most other people have a better understanding and experience with that type of system.

The 6.5TD with electronic fuel injection is a bastard of a diesel engine, can't argue there, but it works for people that can understand it. Now get a new electronic controlled diesel and good luck trying to understand it. The only benefit of newer vehicles is engineers trying to make the PCMs idiot proof to where it can tell the mechanic what to fix.

So you guys don't seem to know a damn thing other then the milage will drop alot ?

I DO NOT want to be paying for a truck that DOSE NOT RUN, because a non running truck means i have to buy another one that dose run which means another truck payment and another vehicle to insure. . .while i pay the remainder of the non running truck off. . .

i would rather a running 6mpg truck then 23mpg truck that dont run. . .

Mikey

Mikey,

You asked a valid question, I answered it with facts! I did own a 1998 Chevrolet 4X4 Dually auto with a 454. The best fuel economy I got was 11 mpg. I know own a 1993 Chevrolet 2wd Dually 5 speed with a 6.5TD and average 16.5 mpg. you do the math.

If you do not like your truck than get rid of it. You ask for help and from what I seen do not follow thru with the advice you have been given. You post all over this forum asking the same questions and never follow the advice you are given.

Personally I would like to see you sale your truck with someone that has respect for the 6.5TD and then see you disappear forever. But, I like seeing people like you come on this forum with difficult problems with the 6,5TD and see people help you get your truck running again. You see it is people like you with these difficult problems and multiple post that help people in the future keep the 6.5TD on the road. That is what I care about the most! Because in my eyes the EPA is doing everything it can to get rid of all Diesel engines it can.

I understand that you are frustrated, I would be too. If you stay with this you will be happy with what you got once you get it running properly. Please be advised that being rude and disrespectful to people attempting to help you will only hurt you in the end.

I do make one request, please keep all the post on this in one long post. It will help others in the future. Which to me is what forums are all about.

Thanks.

Marty

The motor i found was built for a Tow truck and was never installed 265hp@4750Rpm 495tq@2500Rpm, 500CFM Holley 2bbl with jet kit, 10.2:1 slugs, RV cam shaft and was ported polished with stainless steal valves.

Owner told me to make him an offer !
But i have no idea what its worth ?

Mikey

Last edited:
Your truck might only need a PMD though, and it might have a bad CPS, and it might have a clogged tank sock, and it might have water in the fuel and it might be clouded fuel. Or it might need a new IP. Theres so many possibilities which is why you have to jump through a lot of hoops to eliminate possibilities and diagnose the actual problem. It could all be related to your first issue when a new PMD wasnt put in, or it could be a new issue, need diagnostic info to determine.

Its not really a lot different with EFI gas engines, where you ALWAYS have a bad O2 sensor according to the mechanics, or you ALWAYS need one new injector. Mechanics still need to understand how to diagnose things, its just that you and most other people have a better understanding and experience with that type of system.

The 6.5TD with electronic fuel injection is a bastard of a diesel engine, can't argue there, but it works for people that can understand it. Now get a new electronic controlled diesel and good luck trying to understand it. The only benefit of newer vehicles is engineers trying to make the PCMs idiot proof to where it can tell the mechanic what to fix.

I agree. You can make the 6.5 reliable. Just ask turbine doc. He will lead you in the right direction and get your 6.5 running strong...:thumbsup:

Hell I would sell you the 454 1500 bucks, 50K miles all new top end TBI ported polished heads lots of Edelbrock a good strong motor. But it is kinda in a truck right now

While I agree the 6.5 CAN be made reliable, they will never compete with the old Big Blocks for all out monster grunt. I have pulled some freakin massive loads with my old 454 and it always has enough power. And in some cases way to much power shaddering a pinion yoke, and brand new U-Joints. Your mileage will drop alot but you will have loads more power.

Not tryin to piss off the 6.5 crowd

I'd guess that like every other scheme...nothing's gonna happen here except more griping and insults.
JMHO

Back