• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4BT

02ltduramax

Reaction score
I am building another truck, ext cab 94 toyota, sas either dana 60 or longfields in toy axles. Is anyone here running a 4BT to 700R4 or NV4500 combo in any vehicle? I would like the 4BT because of the lack of electronics, reliability, vibration does not bother me. I also considered a 6.2 or 6.5 but there isn't much room in the engine bay. Or has anyone ran a four cylinder Isuzu or other diesel of the same size in a Road and Wheeling truck? I don't need a ton of power just needs to be reliable. Just looking for ideas.

We have one at work in a route truck.. (chip truck), not any problems with it other then it goes threw fuel filters a lot more then out 6.2s...

what vehicle is it going in? 6.2/6.5 weighs less and the motors are pretty close to the same size. 4bt is definatly able to make more power though.

i've seen one bolted up to an nv4500, only auto i've heard it bolted to is the th475 and the 4L80E

6.2 and 6.5 are about the same physical size as a 350/305 which I have setting in the truck right now. It is tight, I'll have to set the motor back and modify the firewall or mess with the front clip and radiator to make enough room that I would be comfortable wheeling it, with motor movement and also use a shallow water pump. The 4bt is a little smaller, I have seen one in a jeep commanche pickup and there was plenty of room. Plus with the power it would be better for my intentions. I have a 700r4 already, I have rebuilt them before and they have proved to be reliable still haven't killed one that I rebuilt yet, one of them is in my brothers chevy. I would buy a good rebuild kit and valve body upgrades to support the motor, I'ld rather have the nv4500 but finding one for the right price is another story. I wouldn't mind the 4cyl isuzu the trouble is finding one I am more likely to find the 4BT.

The 4bt chevy flexplate is a 6 hole setup,so you will need a diesel specific t/converter for the 700.Go to 4btswaps and everthing you would ever want to know is there.730 lbs for the 4bt,she is a chunk,and very tall.If you need measurments,drop me a pm,I have one each of the cummins 4,and 6.The six is going in a 1993 2500 6.5 truck

Thanks for the info on the swap site. I don't have a 4BT yet and I just bought a 2000 2 door blazer with a 4.3 that is going to get the toyota axles. I still want to build the toyota with a 4BT, just lacking the motor, this will get the spare dana 60 and 14 bolt that I have.

They arent cheap.I paid more for my 4 than the whole 5.9 donor truck I just got from the air force.I got mine from Adelmans in Canton Ohio.Just got this for a donor from a mil surplus sale.Dana 70 srw with 7:17s and a detroit locker(fits 4:56 and lower,i will use it somewhere) aftermarket Autometer tach setup.16k miles and 1900 and some hrs.Runs and shifts perfect

Attachments

• tug 005 small int.jpg
    tug 005 small int.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7
They arent cheap.I paid more for my 4 than the whole 5.9 donor truck I just got from the air force.I got mine from Adelmans in Canton Ohio.Just got this for a donor from a mil surplus sale.Dana 70 srw with 7:17s and a detroit locker(fits 4:56 and lower,i will use it somewhere) aftermarket Autometer tach setup.16k miles and 1900 and some hrs.Runs and shifts perfect

Im close to Canton. Like 2 minutes close. Where are you at?

Williamstown W.Va. I 77 runs right thru here.Right on border with Ohio(Marietta)

Back