• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4 wheel drive rotors

cornemuse

Reaction score
Last weekend I went to bleed/change brake fluid in my '84 Blazer. "I am almost deaf, the pad 'squealers' do nothing for me". I found the pads worn to steel & the rotor wasted (driver side only, pass side pads THIN, but ok. How much hassle is it to replace the rotor? I have the shop manual & it looks like going into the hub to remove. They are Warner auto locking hubs. I have an '84 parts Blazer I bought years ago with a bad engine but good (warner hubs) rotors. I would tear into the parts car 1st to find out what I am in store for.

Anybody??
-corne-

IIRC rotor and hub come off then you seperate them by knocking out the studs.

IIRC rotor and hub come off then you seperate them by knocking out the studs.

How much hassle is it to remove the hub tho?

Ive pulled/ swapped 6.2 motors before, but I'm 67 now & I am still sore from changing the brake pads!!

( on the 'bad' rotor I put in som old used pads, in case I decide to take it to a garage.)

-corne-

Hub is held on by 2 nuts that are jamed against each other and has a washer sandwinched between them. The nuts take a special socket or you can use a punch and tap them off with a hammer.
Its pretty easy once you get in there, its time consuming though.
When you get rotor off see if it can be turned before buying a new one.

Hub is held on by 2 nuts that are jamed against each other and has a washer sandwinched between them. The nuts take a special socket or you can use a punch and tap them off with a hammer.
Its pretty easy once you get in there, its time consuming though.
When you get rotor off see if it can be turned before buying a new one.

Steel backing of the pads have trashed the softer cast iron rotor - it will be too thin for re-use. Get new rotors. After all that work - warped or rotors with hard spots are miserable when the pedal pulses 3000 miles down the road. You will have to carefully check the used rotors before taking a chance on them.

On Friday I called the truck wreckers about a rotor. They sell them for 25 bucks, or 'hub&disc' for 60 bucks. I was heading over there & thought I'd check the parts store for a 'special' socket for removing/installing/torqueing the nuts down inside the hub. (I looked at them & wondered how anybody could remove & replace them with a hammer & punch) (not me,for sure!). They had one hanging on the rack for 15 bucks. I was getting in my car when I thought to ask about rotors there. They were 30 bucks and they could get them to the store within about 4 hours. Things went sooo smoooth disassembling, removing, & seperating things, I waited till (late) this morning to get the new rotor, & was finished by 2:00. If I had used that socket once & tossed it, it would have been worth it. Except for the dust & grease, it was a piece of cake operation.
Thanks for everyone sending the tips.

-corne-

Back