• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

350 Tbi issues

Jdbdiesel

Reaction score
My truck is acting weird,

the old owner had a performer intake and marine carb on the truck. Needless to say i put the stock throttle body back on, and now the truck is running pretty rough. It takes forever to start which it never did with the carb. when you hit the brakes. It cuts out the motor, I checked for vacuum leaks and none appeared. if you hook up the map sensor it starts hunting then stalls. also we discovered a fuel leak under the truck on one of the lines. Timing is set at 0, Has new IAC valve.

I am not sure but their doesnt seem to be a ground strap from the engine to the body. however their is one from the block to the battery

i am totally stumped as what can be causing all this

any sugestions or ideas would be great

Jeremey

You fixed something that wasn't broke why? :hihi:

Timing of "0" doesn't sound right. Emission sticker confirm this? Did you pull the wire connector apart as a part of the timing procedure?

Carburetors run at less PSI, 7, than the TBI of 12 PSI. What kind of fuel pump does it have? Run at key on for a moment? In tank pumps were famous for leaking down and giving you long crank times on the first start. And then start quick all day.

Possible blown booster diaphragm - bring the throttle up and step on the brakes in park. See if it leans out the engine at higher RPM.

Any codes? What year we playing with?

Last edited:
No codes at all lately and its a 90 silverado. Its straight piped but ill fire it tomo morning and do what you said. I know i got gas leaking by the filter, Someone said that can cause all my issues. But im not sure, And to be honest, i dont know what fuel pump it has in it.

and lol, I had to fix it, the old owner had a 750 double pumper MARINE carb on it. It was dumping gas, I had to shop vac atleast a half gallon out of the gully below the intake

No codes at all lately and its a 90 silverado. Its straight piped but ill fire it tomo morning and do what you said. I know i got gas leaking by the filter, Someone said that can cause all my issues. But im not sure, And to be honest, i dont know what fuel pump it has in it.

and lol, I had to fix it, the old owner had a 750 double pumper MARINE carb on it. It was dumping gas, I had to shop vac atleast a half gallon out of the gully below the intake

If the shop vac didn't blow up - whatever you vacuumed up wasn't gasoline. :eek: Seriously don't turn that vac on again without cleaning it and airing it out!!! (I really hope you were joking!)

I agree, fuel filter leaking will cause a pressure drop. Fuel drains out the leak when the engine is off. Then if the fuel pump relay is bad you need 4 PSI of oil pressure to turn the pump on, then prime the fuel system and finally it can start.

Fix fuel leaks first. Gasoline fires are not fun. Then check the fuel pump fuse and relay. Fuse is under the black plastic on passenger side of the firewall. By the electrical block as well as the fuel pump relay.

Back