• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3 sending units, 1 3 pos. switch, 1 guage: would accuracy suffer?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was chewing the fat with my old man about putting guages on one of his 6.5Ls and I said it would be nice if there was a pillar pod big enough for a diff temp (dana 80, bearing agles off from OEM, needs temp monitored) tranny temp, and boost & pyro.

He responded with the idea of using a three position toggle, three sending units, and one guage. that way you can monitor temperatures of Engine oil, transmission oil, and differential oil, just by flipping the switch.

The reason he said this should work is that on many combines from the 80s, they had one tachometer, with a switch that chose cylinder (or rotor) speed, engine speed, and ground mph (many said mph/ RPMs in 100s) and if they were fairly accurate on something as critical as RPMs, then there shouldnt be much from variance from truth when you use a switch the change oil temp sending units.

True, that the oil temp sensor type is different from an RPM sensor, but it should still work, IMHO.

Does anyone think it will work? Or is there a chance for too much variance?

That's a great idea,plus it will save money,just don't forget which toggle position is what,maybe mark them.

Im thinking just go down the line of the powertrain, up is engine, middle is transmission, down is rear end.

Do you guys think there is enough room in the pillar to mount a guage and a toggle? or does the toggle need to be in the dash?

Back