• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3:42 to 4"10 quick change?

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Sort of :)

I just bought a complete axle so I could grab the carrier and pinion assy out of it. It has 4:10s in it.
The plan is to have the 4:10s set up and ready to go. I guess really the only thing I can do is set pinion depth. I like the 3:42 around here (no hills), but when making another trip out west I can swap the gears out quickly with another set.
Just got the donor yesterday and will be working on it a little at a time in the evenings when it cools down.
Will post more and pictures later.

What do you mean, setup the first time, you will set it up every time a gear change is done me thinks, or am I missing something when I build them ???

The 14 bolt full floater uses a removeable pinion support, so 6 bolts and the whole pinion and pinion support comes right out. You still have to pull the axles out about 6 inches, and remove the carrier, and reset backlash each time. Personally, I think your overdrive with 4.10's is more than good enough for an overdrive ratio. There does come a point where to much gear is going to hurt you in milage.

Gonna get good at swapping them out.

Kinda surprised that you don't put a GV in there. Your marketing almost everything else you sell on there. No advertising discount for you from GV I suppose.

What Ferm said.

Only have to set the side to side of the carrier each time its swaped (after the first time). The 14 bolt FF is a very easy one to set up.
My VSSB has dip switches so 30 seconds to config that.
I'd only be swapping them if I was going on another cross country trip.

Gonna get good at swapping them out.

Kinda surprised that you don't put a GV in there. Your marketing almost everything else you sell on there. No advertising discount for you from GV I suppose.
He has a used US GEAR overdrive unit in it for an auxilarry overdrive.

It doesn't bog unless going up a hill at 65-70 then get slowed to 60. Only At 60 in top gear under that load it will bog down and have to be down shifted. Those conditions won't be met around here.
But, There is a chance I might buy another truck today. If I do I'll put the 4:10s in for good.

Going to look at a pretty rare truck, its a 3/4 ton six lug 2wd. Not in the best condition judging by pictures, but pretty solid.

Not with a 3:42 axle.

I had a slight change of plans. I just bought another truck last night, so it can be my run around truck (selling Suburban). Now I'll just stick the 4:10s in the 1 ton and be done. Nice thing about the OD is I can just leave it in OD all the time, so with 4:10 in over it won't be bad to drive around and keeps the RPM down. Then when I hit a hill knock it down to direct again.

Back