• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2006 Duramax Hydroboost Questions

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
How does one tell whether there is an issue with a hydroboost valve going bad? It seems that my steering and brakes are slowly getting worse over time. The steering has some stiction in it when turning the wheel, and the brake pedal is getting sloppy right at the end of a stop. The brake pedal seems to release then pulse just prior to stopping. The truck still stops fine, but just a little getting used to. ;)
This has been happening slowly over about the last year or so. Any insight appreciated.

May be 2 problems related to the PS system or separate issues not related at all.

Crank the wheel to the stop and floor the brakes to test max power steering pressure. How does the PS fluid look? Belt good? PS shaft broken? Relief valve in pump popping open early?

Jack up the front end and turn the wheels engine off to see if the stiction is there.

ABS may be going off due to broken tone ring etc. Warped rotors may cause pulse as well.

Brake fluid have high water content or air in the system?

Hydroboost gets pressure/flow first. If it jams or otherwise stops flow the relief pops open in the PS pump to prevent the pump from stopping/slipping the belt and you loose steering assist.

I would recommend doing a PS fluid change for starters Jeff. Could be you need more but I saw an improvement in mine after I did it. There is a thread in DIY here.

Thanks guys. As soon as I can, I will check on those tips you both mentioned. You don't think any of the issues I mentioned are hydro boost related? I figured that seeing that both the steering and brakes were starting to have slight issues that it was or may have been related to the hydro boost. I'll check and reply back.

I've found that I have a definately higher steering resistance when I'm fairly hard on the pedal. Especially when parking. That improved somewhat when I flushed the hydro system.

Back