• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2001 Silverado 1500HD 4L80E transmission, feels like transbrake is on when in D even in manual 3,2,1

Manny1500HD

Reaction score
This a new issue from my last old thread when I had the transmission rebuilt and was having issues with no/ or low oil psi, and overheating. I put about almost 24k miles since. That is until recently I was hauling a Lincoln town car lowrider driving back home from Ontario, California.

I got off the freeway and started making my way towards the Cajon Pass in California and I could feel the transmission struggling on tow/haul mode looked at the temp and kept climbing usually it'll climb to near 225ish F and it'll cool back down by itself.

I kept going and sure enough I had to downshift to 3rd and it eventually started slowing down even more at 40mph. I pulled over and let it cool down, was back on the road all normal. I told myself this wasn't normal so.

I stopped using the truck and pulled the pan off, shift solenoid A the plastic housing had broken off. ended up removing the valve body because somebody overtorqued the screw that holds it in.

I brought a Transgo shift kit HD2 installed it, followed all instructions expect internal modifications. At first I had issues with no oil pressure, even though I checked it multiple times in park idling at full temp. did extensive testing of all new solenoids and all turned out to be working. Turns out after some research some were saying to check in neutral idling. I needed more oil.

I added more oil and now it was reading correct and had pressure in the transmission, I have Reverse and D gears but don't feel them engage at all but reverse does work real good has bout 200psi with no binding.

D and manual 1-3rd gears feel like transbrake is on but I don't have a transbrake. I jacked up rear diff and put jack stands and try again in D and 1st around 2500-3000rpm the rear wheels start to spin but the minute I let go of throttle it stops almost immediate.

I ended up calling Transgo the guy told me misplaced check balls or if the builder had did a dual feed clutch modification I would need to remove the plug in the case side near there center support bolt, so I pulled off the valve body again, I don't have a plug on the case side. kinda stumped at this point

I know TCC works? because I used my scanner and turned on the TCC through the scanner and tried to go foward and stalled the truck.

Here are some pictures of disassembly thru reassembly. also not the last picture shows that the rear center support bolt the 2 hole passages are not plugged up.

also where could I apply compressed air on the case side to see if 1-3rd gear clutches are engaging and disengaging? also I replaced 3rd and 4th accumulator pistons and the housing had some slight blemishes from the piston (cleaned up easily with scotch brite)

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpeg
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2012.jpeg
    IMG_2012.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3495.jpeg
    IMG_3495.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3513.jpeg
    IMG_3513.jpeg