• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 C1500 Cruise Control Malfunction

Deranged

Reaction score
The CC button to set speed was apparently soaked in soda before I had it given to me. I have used electrical lube, similar to a WD40 but protects electrical connections and even considered switching to a much stronger "degunker". After bathing it in the lube/mild degunker over night I will get a couple weeks of decent use and then the gunk seems to start hardening again to the point the CC is useless until it's next bath.

I don't like having to dismantle half the drivers side to replace a $30 part, but may end up doing it next month. Until then, is there a better solution to removing the sludge that has accumulated over the last 18 years inside of her? Sounds nasty huh? Sorry...

I would take it off the column and break it down as much as possible to rebuild it myself, mainly as a learning project and also as a repair. I just don't see the benefit in going that far and not just dropping in a brand new part.

Suggestions other than "replace cheap part"? Probably gonna do that anyhow, but got nothing else to do till than.... so...

Deranged

2 parts warm water to 1 part white vinegar in a spray bottle. Kill power and spray it to soak as best you can, then give it a couple minutes to break down the corn syrup and sugar. Use a air nozzle with as high air pressure as your compressor can go to blow it out. It will take a few times.
When done spray in some contact cleaner.

Nice! Thank ya very much Will. I will definitely give that a go and see how it works. I am really hoping that is all that was spilled in it, soda... Was able to use a small knife and dug some of it out last night, so I will stick with that story lol

Deranged

ya, I was hoping for a couple of screws and a connection but what I found was damn near removing the steering wheel, etc.

I have it working normal again today after a thorough soaking of everything I could get my hands on the other night. See how it decides to stay.

Deranged

Back