• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 6.5 "Brake issues"

Big Bertha

Reaction score
ok I think I can answer my own question but want some feed back from my fellow wrench turners.
About a year ago I had a front caliper lock up on me, so I did the front brakes, pads, rotors, lines and discs, then a few weeks ago I had a rear brake dragging, so I pulled the rear and they looked good, plenty of shoe and drum left, I backed off tension and put them back together,
now onto the problem, the pedal goes to the floor and I pump it for an eternity and pressure builds brakes work, next stop sign they go to the floor again, pump the hell out of them and work again but when I pump them it sounds like a bad power steering sound? power steering pump does leak, I want to change the pump but don't want to throw a pump at it if it needs a hydroboost, what are your thoughts power steering pump???
I do get that power steering noise unless I hit the pedal and accelerate while turning the wheel.

Brakes going to the floor and needing to be pumped up is a fluid leak, your "Brake" light should be on, or a failed master cylinder. You have a leaking line, blown wheel cylinder, or leaking caliper. The calipers can leak into the dust seal before being visible.

Is the front or rear brake fluid level low?

If the levels are fine and no leaks then suspect the master cylinder.

ABS and air is possible. Proportioning valve may be stuck.

The strain of the hydroboost being held on the internal stop will make noise. Usually the brake fluid holds it off the stop, but, with a brake fluid system failure it is hitting the stop.

A bad PS pump can put trash through the entire system. Replacement of the steering box and hydroboost may be required along with flushing the PS cooler on the return line. You will know when you open the system if there is shiny debris running around. Not likely the issue you are asking about, but, you could have this going on.

I wouldn't drive it till it is fixed.

Back