• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 Tahoe 6.5 diesel rear end problems In & out play on the passenger side. When rot

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
1995 2 door Tahoe 6.5 diesel

There is about 1/8" In & out play on the rear axle on the passenger side.

When rotating the axle about 1/4 turn at a time the axle will lock up. If you back it off it will go back to spinning free.

The pinion seems good, with no play.

I won't have time to take the cover off til next week or until it warms up some.

Any guesses as to what I will be looking at? Best case scenario?

We just recently had the cover off and changed the oil. There were no chips or shiny stuff in the oil we drained. We never noticed any problems with the axle when we put rear brakes on a couple weeks or so ago.

Immediately after that the Tahoe was driven to town and back with the emergency brake on. I don't know that this had anything to do with anything.

I'm guessing that the e-brake being on either made the axle want to pull out or push in and either wore into the spacer block or the c-clip machined it's way out into the carrier. Either way is gonna make for end play and I would check it out ASAP and think about changing the oil again.

Depending on how this Craigslist find goes I will have a rolling truck body for sale. I will also be going to Nebraska to pick up a dually axle, wheels, and front end adapters from a fellow member, Josh. Partial delivery could be possible.

EDIT: And I will let you have the ds4 off the truck too if you don't have anything figured out by then.

Things are quite the disaster here right now. Everything needs work. With the Tahoe axle locking when being turned slow - it will have to be diagnosed first.

My daughter brought her Suburban over last night and it was 2 quarts low on tranny fluid. So we are looking for a leak on that It has never lost fluid before and has a bout 5,000 miles since the last time it was checked>

And a big chunk of the roof blew off last night.

And I think I might need at least one beer by the end of the weekend

Being poor sucks. I'll be glad when I get over it.

I know some end play is normal, I see it almost everyday at work when I process RWD vehicles. Have you measured it? I read 1/8" in your post, is that measured? That seems a LITTLE high but I know there is some wiggle room in those semi-float axles. My 9.5" 14 bolt with 500,000+ miles has that much or so. You should see how the splines look on my axle ends. ;)

Changed the fluid last night. There was quite a bit of very fine steel on the magnet. No big pieces anywhere. So fine, I just about couldn't feel them with my fingers.

How much forward and back slop can there be in the wheels?

What do I have for a rear end?

Attachments

• 95 Tahoe rear differential 001.jpg
    95 Tahoe rear differential 001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 95 Tahoe rear differential 002.jpg
    95 Tahoe rear differential 002.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 6
Back