• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 Salem Cobra

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
I picked me up a new RV on Monday. I got such a good deal, I could not pass it up.

I could not find a Holiday Rambler like I wanted in my price range with everything working.

From what I am finding out Cobra was bought out by fleetwood in 97 or so. 96 being the last year for Cobra. I think I have the 27RKUG model. I am not 100% positive on this since I can not find any information on this inside or around the RV.

This RV seems to be built heavy duty. It seems to have a solid aluminum or steel roof. The PO covered it with water seal for decks. :dunno:
I will be doing some digging around to figure it out.

This one has a dining room table slide street side with the couch across the back. The slide when closed seems to cant inward across the top. It seals this way and does not leak when it rains. I noticed some adjustment screws/bolts. I will play around with it when I get time.

The PO while cleaning it out broke one of the small windows across the back. There is also two other windows that need to be replaced. But those two are still in place. I was planning on replacing them with some plexi-glass. I just have no idea how to replace the one that was completely busted out. I will have to just figure it out.

It is in pretty good shape for its age. It just needs some elbow grease applied to it. Here are some pictures.

IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg

One strange thing about this RV is it has no license plate location. No license plate light on either tail light. I have never seen anything like.

IMG_0585.jpg

Those tail-lights don't look original, Marty... I bet somebody replaced them (the factory ones were crappy, kept losing ground and making the lights get all dim, so lots of people changed them)

Problem is, the driver's side factory tail-light had 2 plastic tabs on it to attach the plate. The tabs often broke, too, losing your plate, so no big loss there. I had the plate in the back window of mine for 3 years, just like yours is.

Those tail-lights don't look original, Marty... I bet somebody replaced them (the factory ones were crappy, kept losing ground and making the lights get all dim, so lots of people changed them)

Problem is, the driver's side factory tail-light had 2 plastic tabs on it to attach the plate. The tabs often broke, too, losing your plate, so no big loss there. I had the plate in the back window of mine for 3 years, just like yours is.

I do not think I have any plastic tabs on them either. I also do not see the clear part for the light to shine down onto the plate.
I really do not like it being in the back window. That to me is marking me as a target for a state trooper.

IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0655.jpg

I guess it will have to do for know.

I really do not like it being in the back window. That to me is marking me as a target for a state trooper.

It will attract attention for sure and it would be a judgment call as far as if an officer wants to investigate it further and stop you. Often license tags displayed in the back windows or only attached by one screw often raises concerns of illegal tag swapping from vehicle to vehicle. In your case at this point, that is the only option (in the back window) you have until you can put you a license tag bracket on.

Looks like a pretty nice rig Marty. I know Farm & Fleet as well as Big R strores up here sell quite an assortment of lights and license brackets that you should be able to find down there or online. If you have to go both sides to get a matching set with one having the bottom white light it might be worth it.

I hate liers!

This does not have a metal roof. If it does, it still has the rubber roof under it. I have been pulling out the roof vent screens too clean them. Low and behold there is some of the rubber roof pocking out. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for all the reply's. I feel that for know I will leave the lights and LP were it is. I camp with in 30 minutes from my house anyways.

I for the life of me can not get the heater to fire over. I am sure it is something easy I will figure out. I just really hate playing with propane. When you make a mistake it wins.

Maybe the igniter isn't working. Ours quit last summer, I have to take the vent off on the outside and manually light it. Sucks cause it takes 2 people now.

This does not have a metal roof. If it does, it still has the rubber roof under it. I have been pulling out the roof vent screens too clean them. Low and behold there is some of the rubber roof pocking out. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for all the reply's. I feel that for know I will leave the lights and LP were it is. I camp with in 30 minutes from my house anyways.

I for the life of me can not get the heater to fire over. I am sure it is something easy I will figure out. I just really hate playing with propane. When you make a mistake it wins.
Make sure you have 12+ volts in the system, the furnace will not run fire when the voltage gets below 12 volts

Also, if the fan runs, but no heat, check the schematic for over ride switches. My TT furnace has a sail switch in the fan housing so that if no fan you get no propane to the burner. I had to bypass that switch during last hunting season just to have heat. When I took the furnace apart later I found the sail switch choked in dust and crud keeping it from moving and making the propane carb think the fan wasn't working.

Don

The fan works but, no heat.

It is pouring down rain right know. If it subsides I will go and jack with it.

It could also be a mud dobber nest or something caught in the burner. When I bought ours I got him down another $300 because teh heater wouldn't work, ended up being dirt and a mud dobber nest in the burner. Sprayed teh burner out and cleaned it as best I could, and blew the burner chamber out with an air hose and I had heat for 30 minutes of work.

Nice RV, Eddie.

If you go swapping lights use LED's. They are quite the step up.

Is there a good place to mount the license plate by the taillight? You should be able to get 12 volts to mount a license plate light there. Or maybe drill a hole in the botom in one of the lights for a License plate light.

Have fun,
Clark

It finally stopped raining long enough for me to get some pictures.

Here is the outside vent. When the heater is running one blows air out and one vents air in.

IMG_0668.jpg

Here is were the heater is located inside the RV. Directly below the stove/oven. Not much room.

IMG_0669.jpgIMG_0671.jpg

Here is a picture with the heater cover removed. What is the round thing with two wires?

IMG_0670.jpg

Am I gonna have to remove the stove/oven to work on this heater? I tried to put a torch lighter into the outside vents to fire it up and it is too much air movement to keep the lighter lit.

I do have another heater but, it is not kid friendly at all. It does work well and will heat up the camper quickly.

IMG_0672.jpg

Mine is the old style with a manual igniter and a pilot lamp, that's what I was lighting with the cover removed. Yours looks to be electronic ignition.

Looks nice! I replaced my rear lights with LEDs and just screwed the plate directly to the body. It's not illuminated, but I haven't been hassled for it yet. Last fall I cleaned 5lbs of old mud dauber nests from our furnace. Same symptoms, fan but no heat. I removed it from the trailer, stripped it on the bench and blew it all out with shop air. Dusty job but well worth it. I'm sure it had been gathering mud daubers since 1987! I also added screen door mesh behind the intake/exhaust to keep them out for good.

I traded this RV in today on something a lot smaller. I want(ed) something that I could pull the boat and RV at the same time.

I will start a new thread soon with pictures.

Back