• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 front diff crack in housing

Plaf713

Reaction score
I went out to my truck a few weeks ago and saw a couple drips of oil, not thinking much of it. A day or to went by and I went to change my oil and noticed a little crack in the front diff housing. Question is can anything be done? I'm sure I'm going to have to replace the housing.

Truck is a 1994 gmc sierra 2500 with 3.42s

If I have to replace can I buy a 1500 setup? Having trouble finding either 2500 or 1500 either way.

Or is it not worth it and just keep filling up the diff?

Thanks

Need to know which diff you have to say which one will work. If it's a 6 lug then you need one from a 6 lug, if it's an 8 lug you need one most likely from an 8 lug. MOST 8 lugs got the 9.25" front diff, and 6 lugs got the 8.25" front diff, but a few 8 lug trucks got the 8.25" diff. If it's the aluminum portion that cracked then most any good welding shop should have no trouble fixing it. If it's the passenger side thats cast, it is a bit more tricky to weld up.

I have a 8 bolt if you are looking for one from a 94 gmc 2500. I'm going to Geneva ny the end of the month to visit family. Let me know I can pull it.

x2 for welding. My mount was broken from a weird happenstance but a company that specializes in repairing semi-trailers and such did a bang up job on it.
Don't have an after picture but here's the break
IMG_3256.jpg

Cast aluminum needs too cool down on its own accord though, as I'm told. Otherwise the metal around the weld will be weaker than the repair.

Question is, why did it crack...bash on something?

Back