• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1993 4l80 swap to 2000 4l80

BigMikey

Reaction score
Greetings again.
As I posted recently, my 93 4l80 is having problems.
I have a chance to purchase a 2000 4l80 that was recently rebuilt for $400.
I read here by Thefermanator that the 91-93 has a cleaning cycle for the pressure solenoid. The 2000 won't have that. What will I have to do to use the 2000 model in my truck using the 93 computer ??
Thank You in advance.

Exactly as Ak said. there is way too much that would have to be done. your best bet is if you plan to use the factory 93 trans computer is to rebuild YOUR trans. no exchanges as it willl be a huge gamble if you get the right parts in an exchange, like the reluctor in it which is now unobtainium at this point.

The only way to use the 2000 year model trans is with an aftermarket computer like the EZ-TCI and you still will need to swap out some things or create your own custom shift linkage / cable system. your 93 uses a steel rod and linkage to the shift shaft on the trans. the newer ones used a cable and are uniquely different. that is unless you plan to install a aftermarket floor shifter and do away with the column lever.

The cost on making the newer one work would be more than the cost of getting your trans rebuilt including all getting all the upgrades during the rebuild process.

Exactly as Ak said. there is way too much that would have to be done. your best bet is if you plan to use the factory 93 trans computer is to rebuild YOUR trans. no exchanges as it willl be a huge gamble if you get the right parts in an exchange, like the reluctor in it which is now unobtainium at this point.

The only way to use the 2000 year model trans is with an aftermarket computer like the EZ-TCI and you still will need to swap out some things or create your own custom shift linkage / cable system. your 93 uses a steel rod and linkage to the shift shaft on the trans. the newer ones used a cable and are uniquely different. that is unless you plan to install a aftermarket floor shifter and do away with the column lever.

The cost on making the newer one work would be more than the cost of getting your trans rebuilt including all getting all the upgrades during the rebuild process.
Looking at both 4l80's, 1993 & 2000, both have the exact shaft and bracket....
Also, can I just change the computer to a 94/2000 model ?

Back