• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1991 6.2 low miss on acceleration

Matt C

Recruit
Reaction score
Been way too long since I've been on here, my 1993 was just way too reliable I never needed to monkey with it, finally retired it do to rust. Bought a 1991 2500 6.2 J code. Issue started a few months back when accelerating between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm it kinda cuts out or almost like a misfire, get a little whiff of unburt fuel and it seems underpowered. Not new to the power of theses this is my 4th one, first non emissions so I was expecting better not worse. I know it's not good for the motor but for testing purposes if I momentarily flip my manual cold advance/high idle switch it doesn't seem to act up and has way more power. I have advanced the static timing and turned up the fuel screw. Truck info, 1991 6.2 J code, 4l80e, 3:73 gears, 165,000 miles. Kinda leaning towards a pump issue but looking to pick some brains. Thanks in advance

Verify air filter is good/ no restrictions.

Clear ip return line look good? Sometimes you need a go pro/ old phone recording under the hood while driving to recreate it. Aeration of fuel or water/ algae can cause it.

Fuel pressure gauge tapped in steel at the inlet of the ip so you can read it while driving. Inside the fuel line restriction that comes free and replugs like the famous flapper inside the line issue can cause this as well as simple surging from lift pump. Low incoming pressure wipes the head & rotor. The key to long ip life is improved fuel filtration and proper incoming pressure with good lube. Never use emulsifiers like “diesel 911” or mystery marvel oil.

Injectors can cause it. If you can recreate while parked- hold the rpm there and crack injectors one at a time to id if it’s specific cylinders. Caution where buying new ones and having them adjusted to within 25psi of each other pays for itself in mpg over time. Remember they are best rebuilt at 100,000 mile intervals.

Turbo stories?

If no answers there- go real heavy on the fuel lube- see if that cleans it up.

Haven't put a clear line on the return yet, not ruling it out or anything but when my 83 had air getting in it started like shit, this thing fires right up and runs smooth, but I'll get a clear line on it. Never been able to get it to do it unless under a load/acceleration not sitting still. What's everyone using for fuel lube these days, I user to be religious at adding 2 cycle oil but I'll admit I haven't been very good at it with this truck, don't worry I refuse to use 911 in anything, really don't like power service period

fuel-line.com sells a clear fuel hose by the foot that is rated for all fuels.
Definitely outlasting the hardware store stuff.

Db2- atf is my preferred additive. Might hurt the spotted tree whales but the LP, ip, injectors enjoy a better life. Stanandyne still makes their additive.

Back