• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

14 bolt axle ?

hookedup50

Reaction score
Ok, The oil seal was leaking on the rear drivers brake. No big deal, Pulled it apart and sleeved the splindle ect. My question is why would someone only use one spindle nut the key that goes in the slot and the spring retainer only. No washer next to bearing or any of the other safety devices to keep the drum/wheel on. This seal has been a leaker before but I farmed it out, and no mention of this from the mechanic. I'm gonna get two sets of stage 8 spindle nut kits and make it right. Can anyone think of a reason these items may have been omitted other than losing them. I cannot.

Age old design. Been that way for years. If the bearings are good then you're good to go. A junk bearing will defeat any fancy fastener.

Brute simplicity. Works good.

So there is not supposed to be a washer between the bearing and spindle nut ect..? The stage 8 kit was same as dana 60 nuts with shipping.

Yep 93 in my sig same same.

The snap ring has a hook on one end, this of course indexes with the keyway in the spindle and holds the square key in.

I usually snug the square key to the spindle in the direction the wheel rotates with a little torque on the nut. Intstall clip, done.

I'll run with it then. Just not what I expected to see in there. I usually work on much older steel I guess.

If you are super paranoid, you could go to the 70's style nut setup. IIRC it was a jam nut and star deal where you bent tabs over the jam nut pair. The star is keyed into the key slot on the spindle.

Still no washers (other than star) used.

I like simple and if it is not broken, I'll put the money where stuff is broken. It's an everyday occurance right now.

Back