• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

100,000 miles!

btfarm

America First!
Reaction score
Tomorrow AM my truck will turn 100k. 3 years and 17 days.
I have run the T-Bars up 9 from stock and 285 BFG ATs since new. Other than that the truck is 100% stock. Obviously I do good maintenance and 95k of those are highway miles with only occasional towing. Have used Rotella T 15w40 dino oil and AC filter from new and changes (after break in) have been at 6k-7.5k. Fuel filter and trans filter with tire rotation at alternate oil changes.
I replaced the trans cooler pressure line at 85k and RF hub at 92k (my fault for hitting a curb hard at a fuel stop in DesMoines).
That's it... no other problems ever. Truck still runs like new and looks like new. Only thing I religously do is hit it hard every 100 miles or so to keep the egr clean. It gets alot of washes too...:D
I could not be any more pleased with it!:thumbsup:
Think I'll go for 200k...

Nice Mike! Keep up the good work! Good luck for the next 400K. ;)
Just curious, how do you keep the EGR clean by stomping on it?

Thats great Mike...! You keep'em clean and try to keep'em new forever but it just dosent happen. I just turned 45k.

Nice Mike! Keep up the good work! Good luck for the next 400K. ;)
Just curious, how do you keep the EGR clean by stomping on it?

Blows the soot out that gets dumped into the intake and the backpressure on the egr (theoretically) creates enough turbulance to "dust" it off. I know it takes at least 100 miles to be able to develop the ability to create a decent smoke show. On those occasions I've run a couple of hundred easy miles I can get a nice black cloud...:D

Regarding maintenance at 100k, have you changed the Dexcool and replaced the serpentine belt?

I am just past 80k, and am already thinking about those two items.

Regarding maintenance at 100k, have you changed the Dexcool and replaced the serpentine belt?

I am just past 80k, and am already thinking about those two items.
Not yet Bud. Been thinking about it too for awhile. I thought I was gonna get a free Dexcool change when I hit the deer but the radiator was ok...:mad2:
Was looking at the belt last week and it's good but don't want to be on borrowed time...

Excellent man! Keep up with the maint and they'll usually treat you the same. Mine turns 4 in Sep, but I'm a few ten thousand miles behind.

That serpentine belt looks like a huge PITA to replace with all the supports around the fan though.

serp belt is fairly easy bud. i would not be scared. big 1/2 ratchet for the tensioner is all you need. and some patience.

mike, if you havent considered blocking the egr i would. the amount of crap that goes through it is amazing. i have one apart that has 67k on it and has the blocker, not sure what milage it went on, but the intake is disgusting. mine went on with about 85k on it and it took me hours to scrub the intakes clean when i did my head gaskets at 94k

I've thought about blocking the egr Joe. I'm sure a plate and finger stick are still pretty available from Merchant or one of our guys. I got to a point that I thought, WTF, I'll just see how it does to 100k totally stock... Wasted my money BTW on that GMPP 100k warrantey. I could have used it for the front hub but since it was all my fault, my principles of responsibility for my actions said "NO... You broke it, you fix it!"

Mike, I run over curbs all the time so I can park my dually close to keep wifey happy :eek: How did hitting one cost you a hub?
edit- and congrats on the 100k, mine rolled over 207k last night

Mike, I run over curbs all the time so I can park my dually close to keep wifey happy :eek: How did hitting one cost you a hub?
In a hurry making a u-turn coming out of a fuel stop in DesMoines on the way home from Colorado trip. Knew it was gonna be close... Hit it hard and went right up and down about an 8" or so curb.

Sounds like your well on your way to 200,000. I am glad that you have not had anymore problems than what you have had. Any sign of transfer case leaks and how much trouble you had with the steering shaft clunk?

No sign of pump rub and no steering shaft issues at all! I got a good one.
Transfer case was filled with 3 qts of Mobil1 shortly after Mike L posted that info back a while ago. There is a bit of black dust in the area of the rub location so at some point it might be an issue but it's been like that for 30 or 40 k.

Here's a pic from 6:45 this AM...:D I pulled off the road to take it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100k.jpg
    100k.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 70
Way to go Mike! Congrats on the milestone. And very happy to hear that you have had 100k miles that have been very trouble free.

Nice...500 miles more and I'll be right there too. You might want to address the pump rub issue before it happens...cheaper to fix that way. It seems from my reading that a common time for it to happen is around 120k. Our work truck's wore through at 123k. :nonod: $900 for dealer to fix with a new case half. I'm gonna try to get to mine before it happens and get the Merchant Auto fix for $250 and do the work myself.

My LBZ is not even 3 years old. Drove it off the lot pulling 14,000lbs and it has rarely been unhooked since. Very little maintenance done. Both front wheel bearings about two months ago and brakes and tires. It now has over 150,000 miles. This is used what it was meant for everyday. Rarely gets washed as it always hooked to the trailers. My LB7 has 200,000 miles and still gets fantastic fuel mileage with no failures of engine or transmission. Just a water pump, wheel bearings, brakes and tires and a steering shaft.

These are just amazing work trucks. I don't care what anyone says. Great mileage and very trouble free comfortable vehicles.

Back