• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1/8 stereo plug for Silverado?

Ozzie

Snow looming...run!!
Reaction score
Is there some kind of harness or something that can add a 1/8 plug to play devices over the stereo? If my truck has one, dammed if I can find it...then I wouldn't have to use an FM transmitter.

here's what I use for my 98:

get_imageaspxdomainaudiosavings.jpg

Lets me control the ipod through the radio controls and recharges it to boot!

Also gives you an aux in for a regular mp3 player or anything else you want. Runs in place of the CD or tape player so it's digital quality, much better than Fm modulators or transmitters.

Probably sell something similar for your year.

check it out....

:)

Ahh...so this one goes on the antenna line...that system has been around for a while. This system still works good?
I was thinking since the head unit has an AUX on it must be good for something. Of course the manual doesn't say squat about it.

Edit: Thanks BJ...I'm thinking this might be on the right path...will I use that interface by switching the head unit to Aux?

Ahh...so this one goes on the antenna line...that system has been around for a while. This system still works good?
I was thinking since the head unit has an AUX on it must be good for something. Of course the manual doesn't say squat about it.

"aux in" is usually for the factory remote cd player....

I've got a new Droid with streaming internet radio that seems to be putting everyone else in the truck out of business...used to use the player in my gps on trips, but this is so easy.

I'll be trying out a Bluetooth receiver too...got that on order. I can move it between the truck and rv for service in both units wirelessly. No wires to contend with if I actually want to use it as a phone...):h

If you're not Using an iPod, the USA Spec Module is a Waste of Money. You're Paying for Features you're never going to be Using.

If you're not Using an iPod, the USA Spec Module is a Waste of Money. You're Paying for Features you're never going to be Using.

Yes and no.

You wouldn't be using the ipod control features, but sound quality is going to be superior to any "wireless" solution as it is an RCA "in" to the factory unit.

If you're good with a slight degradation in sound quality, I agree that it may be a bit more expensive than most want.

But hey, C'mon.....it's only 100 bucks for better sound quality.

Worth it for me.

Your mileage may differ....

Yes and no.

You wouldn't be using the ipod control features, but sound quality is going to be superior to any "wireless" solution as it is an RCA "in" to the factory unit.

If you're good with a slight degradation in sound quality, I agree that it may be a bit more expensive than most want.

But hey, C'mon.....it's only 100 bucks for better sound quality.

Worth it for me.

Your mileage may differ....

Yea, I totally agree, any Wired Connection is gonna Sound Best.

The Unit you Showed, Uses the Aux In Path to get the Sound to the Headunit, a Wired Connection.

The Unit I Showed, Uses the Antenna Wire to the the Sound to the Headunit, a Wired Connection as well.

I've Used both Methods in Previous Vehicles (USA Spec in my Volvo for iPod Integration with the Factory Headunit, and FM Modulator in my Mercedes, because at the Time, the Headunit I was Using didn't have iPod Support) and there was no Difference in SQ between the 2.

EDIT: I actually have the FM Modulator I Used. It's somewhere here in one of my Install Accs. Boxes. I'll Look for it Tomorrow, and if it's got the Inputs / Outputs you'll need, we can Work Out a Deal if you want it.

Yea, I totally agree, any Wired Connection is gonna Sound Best.

The Unit you Showed, Uses the Aux In Path to get the Sound to the Headunit, a Wired Connection.

The Unit I Showed, Uses the Antenna Wire to the the Sound to the Headunit, a Wired Connection as well.

I've Used both Methods in Previous Vehicles (USA Spec in my Volvo for iPod Integration with the Factory Headunit, and FM Modulator in my Mercedes, because at the Time, the Headunit I was Using didn't have iPod Support) and there was no Difference in SQ between the 2.

EDIT: I actually have the FM Modulator I Used. It's somewhere here in one of my Install Accs. Boxes. I'll Look for it Tomorrow, and if it's got the Inputs / Outputs you'll need, we can Work Out a Deal if you want it.

Guess it depends on how "discriminating" your ear is. "Wired" is a bit of a misnomer here.

The FM modulator goes through the radio tuner, which can't offer the same fidelity as an "aux in" because it's not digital. Aux in is digital.

Depends on the quality of your radio tuner also.

Either way, better than a transmitter (at least, sound wise).

Now, If you want a portable between vehicles unit (like the OP has mentioned) you're going to end up wireless.

It's more about what you want out of your sound system and what you're willing to compromise on to get it....

:)

I was considering adding an Ipod adapter until half the lights quit working on my stock radio, I replaced it with a Kenwood that has the USB cable allowing me to control the Ipod and charge it. A huge improvement in sound quality and all the features I wanted for less than $200. I never realized how bad my stock radio sounded until I replaced it.

I took the dash apart to make sure of what I had...to check the plugs and such. Turns out I can get the hardwired solution for less than 40 bucks delivered. Then, I also have the Bluetooth receiver enroute, which will allow me hands free for the phone or netbook use.
...really don't like all those damn wires hanging around the dash and the hardwire solution frees up another 12v plug...
I do have the option to forego the Bluetooth and plug directly from the phone or netbook if I notice the sound difference.
Sometimes convenience goes a long ways if it works.

Thanks for the ideas guys...it got me on track...:thumbsup:

The wireless FM transmitter models sound quality isn't very good. I had one before I purchased my kenwood.

Back