• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'06 LBZ - Does the MAF Sensor Require Periodic Maintenance?

RayMich

Reaction score
Does the MAF Sensor in a 2006 LBZ require periodic maintenance? If so, how often and what is the procedure?

This morning during rush hour, I had to merge into traffic and I was required to push it WOT up to 55 mph in order to merge safely. Approx 2 miles down the road I had to stop and make a left turn. When I pressed the throttle to move from the stop, the truck would hardly move. It began surging and the more I pressed on the pedal, the slower it went. I finally nursed it to my destination and parked it for approx. 8 1/2 hours.

Before I started it this afternoon, I checked for codes with my code reader and found P0101 and P0102. At no time did the Check Engine Light come on.

I re-started the truck and it drove fine. But since it was still early in the afternoon, I decided to go to my dealer and see what they found, since I have plans to drive out of state within a couple of weeks.

I told the write-up guy what happened and asked for them to check it to see what was wrong.

After approx. 30+ minutes, they paged me telling me that the truck was done.

The comments on the repair ticket were:
HISTORY CODES P0101 AND P0102. CHECKED MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR FOR FAILURES. CLEANED SENSOR AND VARIATION IS NORMAL AT THIS TIME.
The charge was $42.50
I then asked to see the write-up guy. He told me that they found the MAF sensor readings were erratic, so they cleaned the sensor and the readings are steady now.

The truck now has 68,100 miles on it. It has been maintained religiously every 8,000 to 10,000 miles. I change the Fuel and Air filters every 12,000 to 15,000 miles and the last time they were changed was 2,800 miles ago. The air filter is OEM and still looks good.

So the only thing I can think of is to do periodic maintenance on the MAF sensor, but I cannot find how often and what the procedure should be.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I couldn't tell you if there is a periodic maintenance schedule for it...I guess just clean when necessary?

you can buy a spray can of MAF cleaner...
pull your intake tube and see if you have any residue in the inside as well...
my wifes tahoe (always had acdelco filters) had a thin residue...like the plastic was outgassing or something...so I cleaned the tube and the MAF...picked up an MPG or so...

My last 06 LBZ had an issue every so often related to that MAF. Never had any codes. but after i cleaned it, it seemed to fix it.
i dont know of any maint schedule for the MAF sensor but I clean it about every time I service the air filter.
Glad they got you fixed up.

Btw I also had an issue similar to what the OP experienced but it turned out to be a problem with the FingerStick. I pulled it out and never had another problem (until it ended up in an arroyo - but thats another story).

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it.

I will have to go to the parts store and get some of that Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner.

Do you take the sensor off to clean it? Do you just spray the cleaner on, or do you wipe if off also? Thanks.

Since fund have been very tight for quite a while, I made the decision to keep my truck 100% stock. I cannot afford any big expenses. I even have the factory EGR still working with no issues.

I have noticed that my fuel economy has taken a dump lately, so I hope that getting this MAF sensor cleaned will get me some of those MPGs back.

You can pull it out Ray. Two screws and disconnect the electrical plug. Spray it down and the fluid will evaporate.

Ray, I try and spray mine down every 10K. I use a spray made by CRC.

attachment.php

that's the stuff!

I dont remember having any trouble until after about 60-65k miles or so. I had an AFE Stage 2 on that truck since around 10k miles.
I have an Airaid on my current truck. I bought it with 60k on it and it had an original oem air filter in it and it was DIRTY!
I just switched to the airaid and have 62k. no problems yet. Time will tell.

If you can't find that specific brand of stuff, any electric contact cleaner will do the job. They are not harsh and will evaporate within seconds so it doesn't foul sensors and stuff. No need to wipe the MAF as it has very thin wires that can easily be broken running across it. So just spray it down, let it dry, spray it down again and see if that does the trick.

Thank you all.

I really appreciate the help.

This really took me by surprise, because this truck has been pretty much trouble free since I bought it new. The only significant issue I've had was a bad ABS sensor that the dealer replaced on the very last day that my extended warranty was in force, so that cost me ZERO.

I know that I can't expect it to be trouble free forever, but any major repairs right now will be disastrous for me, since I no longer have any warranty coverage and no money to fix it.

I am going to incorporate periodic cleaning of the MAF sensor into my maintenance schedule.

I've never cleaned mine either Ray but I'm getting ready for some major maint so I'll get a can-o-that MAF woop ass for myself... I have thrown both of those codes by mashing the throttle in cold weather before. Goes right into limp! Great fun...

Just make sure you don't get Throttle Body Cleaner. MAF Cleaner ONLY. I've heard some people do it with q tips and rubbing alcohol, but those wires are really delicate.

Back