• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

02 Duramax engine raddle or ???

Snoman

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I had my 02 duramax for a couple months now and seems like there is a (raddle) not a knock or tick when I am sitting in the cab of the truck at about 1500-2000rpms at light acceleration or cruising at those rpms. I poped the hood and can't here anything from the outside but when your in it driving it is there, after the truck warms up it seem to go away but you can still kinda here it then but not 1/2 as bad when the truck is cold. The performance of the truck is the same. Under hard accelleration the raddle gos away. what do you guys think? Thanks for any help

I would say normal.

The Duramax is known for the "typewriter" tick. Mine actually does the same thing. :)

Like jeff said, its probably normal. These engines tend to have some mysterious ticking noises that come from inside the engine, don't worry that light tapping (sounds kinda like a typewriter) is completely normal and is present in most all of the duramax diesels. Some engines may be louder that others it all just depends on the machining tollerances.

My dad has a 2003 duramax and he had a rattle at around 1000-1500 rpm, we popped the hood and he reved it till it made the rattle, it was an exhaust heat shield that had came loose, i tightened it, and no more rattle,
good luck

as stated its the infamous typewriter tick. I posted the TSB on here somewhere.

It has to do with the bearings and the oil film on them, it produces a frequency that resonates through the block as metallic sound. Usuallly happens once the miles get up there and depends on machining tolerances.

Hi Guys, I had my 02 duramax for a couple months now and seems like there is a (raddle) not a knock or tick when I am sitting in the cab of the truck at about 1500-2000rpms at light acceleration or cruising at those rpms. I poped the hood and can't here anything from the outside but when your in it driving it is there, after the truck warms up it seem to go away but you can still kinda here it then but not 1/2 as bad when the truck is cold. The performance of the truck is the same. Under hard accelleration the raddle gos away. what do you guys think? Thanks for any help

When was the last fuel filter change? When mine gets dirty, it seems the IP and injectors sound off even more at around 1200-1500 RPM. A new filter and a quart bottle of PowerService Silver to a tank of fuel clears it up outright.

Back