• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'00 2wd 4l80 in a '93 4x4

jweller90

Reaction score
Reading several posts around here I think this should be a possible swap.

Specifically information from THEFERMANATOR

I have a 93 k2500 with the 6.5 & 4l80.
Currently no forward gears in an gear position. Only reverse and reverse is strong.

Looking at picking up an 2000 4l80 that's 2wd that's has a slip yoke output.

From what I understand the 2wd has the reluctor wheel I need and the slip yoke has a full spline output that with the tail housing removed I can cut and put my tcase adapter and t case on.
- somewhere I read I'll need you swap a plug in the rear of the trans when doing this. Any info on this?

I'll the need to swap over my valve body, solenoids, harness, and shift lever to make this swap work in my truck.

Besides that I'll be looking at getting a new torque converter as I cannot verify the one I have is a low stall (trans had been swapped) and the one from the new trans was behind a 350 so it should be a mid stall. I remember reading that the convertors changed somewhere around 2000, does that also mean there is a compatibility issue?

Reason for wanting to do this is the new trans seemed to have several upgrades throughout the years & this one's cheap with under 100k on it.

What's everyone's thoughts

swapping out valve bodies you will loose some of the upgrades that were done, but also it's needed for it to work properly with the 93 factory TCM.
one other thing you missed is youll need to swap out the shift shafts so your linkage will connect to the trans. the newer trans were setup for a cable where your 93 uses steel bars and linkage to the column.

But do not toss anything from your old trans away for several months after this is done. you might find that you tossed something you needed.

Back