• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torque specs on oil filter adapter bolt?

Reaction score
Ladies and fellas I just put in Leroys oil cooler and line kit and Im getting a little seepage coming from somewhere hard to pinpoint....w a possibility being the banjo bolt that mounts the 4x4 oil filter adapter.... i just torqued it down w a regular ratchet without doing any research as to it having actual torque specs. With that being said, this is my research on torque specs. Anybody know if/what that might be? thank you in advance!

Where does the crush washer go?

I had my adapter on and off a few times and have no memory of it.
The copper washer is only used on certain adapters, 95 & earlier, I don't know the adapter part numbers.

The washer goes between the bolt head and adapter.

I think the way to tell is if a o ring is on the bolt and inside the housing where the bolt goes in, no washer.... But I don't have a drawing at this time.

Where does the crush washer go?

I had my adapter on and off a few times and have no memory of it.
Can’t find a drawing either. Can’t remember if my original 96 motor had one but, I’ve got it on my current 6.2. Between the bolt and the adaptor. In the shadow….
IMG_9132.jpeg
1713807949796.png

Last edited:
Well, mine has a crush washer now. If anyone wonders, the split side goes toward the bolt head. This is from referencing the bolt in the adapter from the HMMWV adapter.

The single split washer trying to retain it from vibrating loose and the fact that the copper crush washer is so soft- I became convinced years ago that its just bad application of a split lock washer. I thought about drilling the bolt head and using lockwire (aka safety wire) to bind it from moving. Really disappointed that after so many years of it as a known problem GM never just added a second bolt to the system.

Back