• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 for conversion ??

wireman_67

Reaction score
To keep things easer I am wanting to keep a GM transmission/T-case in the truck when I do a swap. I was thinking about keeping the 4L80, but then I have read that they wont hold the power even after being built. So now I was considering a NV4500, but then I also find that they will not hold together in fifth gear. Is there anything other than putting a dodge trans in the truck that will hold up? Is there anything that can be done to the NV4500 to make it stand up to the abuse? I have not bought anything yet as I am trying to get a plan before I do. Thanks.

The fifth gear has an upgrade. All it is, is a new nut on the gear. There is quite a few companies out there with them. I think transparts wharhouse is where I got mine. I did the swap 3 years ago. Would do another one tomarrow. Accutaly planing on e for the dump I have. I have abought $ 2000 in my swap.

Use the GM NV4500 and swap in a DODGE input shaft so you can use a DODGE clutch and have the fifth gear upgrade nut installed with the special LOCTITE and have at it.

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the help. Hope I will be able to do this very soon. Unless I find another truck to hang the plow on though I think it will have to wait until spring. Oh well, gives me time to round up parts.

Use the GM NV4500 and swap in a DODGE input shaft so you can use a DODGE clutch and have the fifth gear upgrade nut installed with the special LOCTITE and have at it.

Ferm, I maybe wrong on this but the Dodge inputs are longer than the GM. So if he is keppin the 6.5 he wont be able to use the Dodge shaft because it will need the dodge/cummins bellhousing.

Wireman If you need some help on this I have some of the GM part#'s and such for this swap.

I thought he was asking about his CUMMINS conversion project which is why I said to use the DODGE input shaft in the GM tranny. This way he could run a standard run of the mill DODGE clutch and have everything else be a regular GM so it would all line up.

I thought he was asking about his CUMMINS conversion project which is why I said to use the DODGE input shaft in the GM tranny. This way he could run a standard run of the mill DODGE clutch and have everything else be a regular GM so it would all line up.

Absoutly agree if Cummins swap use the Dodge setup. If leaving the 6.5 keep GM. One of us reading it different. Wasn't trying to nitpick just trying to stay on same page with everyone. :grouphug:

Sorry about that after reading my first post I never actaully said what I was swapping. I want to put a cummins in the truck so that is why I am considering chagning the transmissions over. Again I will try to be more clear on things. You know how newbies are.

Well then I would absolutely stay with the Cummins/Dodge setup. The only thing that might cause problems is the master cylinder and clutch pedal don't know if doge parts will bolt up to GM easily. Anything can be done just a matter of time and money.

Back