• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diamond Eye Exhaust with Band Clamps OK?

TurboTahoe

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading the exhaust on the 'burb (and probably the Tahoe as well), and I am looking at going to a 3.5" or a full 4" setup.

Obviously, the value-priced options are Diamond Eye or similar exhaust, which tend to be mail order at around $300 or so.

I really like the band clamps
hdhanger_sm.jpg

that allow you to do a leak-proof install, but to do so without using the crimp-type clamps, which deform the pipes and are impossible to take apart later.

For those who have installed Diamond Eye or equivalent, would these kinds of clamps work on the install? I ask this because typically this kind of clamp is looking for a end-to-end (same diameter) connection. In other words, the band clamps assume that you have a 4" pipe joining another 4" pipe, and to my understanding, most of these exhaust systems come with crimp-style clamps and the pipes are not same diameters where they join - i.e. they have one end of the pipe BIGGER than 4" and it fits OVER the smaller pipe, and you clamp the whole business down.

Can anyone enlighten me here?

Thanks,

-Rob :)

Should work, there are 2 differant kinds of them clamps, ones that are like a butt splice and ones like you mentioned. Its all we use on the big trucks and all I have on my truck :)

As Justin said they make 2 types. The butt joint and a preformed, for lap joints. They work really well and make it easy to disassemble, if the need arises.

As 96 Oilburner said they make both. My SSDiesel system has a but joint type clamp on the crossover and 3-4 lap type on the exhaust.

They saved my A** when I had to replace the motor. It would have sucked cutting the stainless pipes to get the downpipe removed.

I would never use anything but. I have worked with both and the band are a million times better. Put them on and don't look back.

This was the first time I used them and I won't use the old style for anything I plan on keeping or working on. Wish I'd known about them on my father's 84 S-10 and F-150 and my G-30. All of those eat exhaust components. They converted me to only using stainless exhaust components as well. It's worth the extra money not to have to replace in a year or two.

x2 on the band clamps. I needed a final adjustment after I somewhat tightened the clamps, and they wouldn't come apart due to the crimp. Fortunately, I forgot to tighten another clamp all together, and I was able to cut the 4 inches there intead, so I lucked out.

I do know now, that if I ever want to change mufflers or straight pupe or anything else, they will NEVER come apart. Believe me, I tried.

LOL, pupe....

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever seen the ones for lap joints. That's exactly what I was asking. I know that NAPA carries the butt-joint clamps. Does anyone know if they (or anyone else) carry the lap joint kind?

-Rob :)

If NAPA fails, I have got them from Summit Racing and all the "big truck" dealers have them around me (Mack, Kenworth, Frieghliner ect..)

Back